Street Closing

The procedure to temporarily reduce or stop the flow of pedestrian or motoring traffic in parking spaces, on sidewalks, lanes of traffic, street sections, or entire streets: Fill out a Street Closing Request Form and return the form filled out in its entirity to the City of Athens Public Works Department located at 219 Alford St., Athens, TN 37303 or via email. Street Closing Requests require 72 hours to process with a 30-day notice for Parade requests. A completed Certificate of Liability Insurance must be submitted with the Street Closing Request Form.


Guidelines for a "Parade Permit"
Municipal Code 16-110

Parades Regulated

A request for a parade permit must be presented in writing to the Athens Police Department at least four (4) weeks prior to the event date.

The written request must include the following:

Contact Person
Telephone Number
Name of the Organization
Theme of the event Route
Alternate Route Estimate size of the event Estimated length of time for the event What the "parade" will consist of such as floats, marching bands, marching (walking) groups, etc.

This information will be reviewed and you will be notified as to the status of your request. You will be required to appear at the Athens Police Department to review and sign the permit prior to its issuance if approved.

If there are any questions, please contact the Athens Police Department at (423) 744-2730 between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM. Monday through Friday.

16-110. Parades Regulated. 
It shall be unlawful for any club, organization or similar group to hold any meeting, parade, demonstration or exhibition on the public streets without some responsible representative first securing a permit from the chief of police. No permit shall be issued by the chief of police unless such activity will not unreasonably interfere with traffic and unless such representatives shall agree to see to the immediate cleaning up of all litter which shall be left on the streets as a result of the activity. Furthermore, is shall be unlawful for any person obtaining such a permit to fail to carry out his agreement to immediately clean up the resulting litter. (1972 Code, 12-210; as amended by Ord. #866, 1, Jan.2000

If you have questions, please call Public Works at (423) 744-2745 or email.